New York Bio/Med Industry Workforce SummitAdd to calendar
Tuesday, March 15, 2022
Location: Renaissance Hotel, Albany, NY
Our Industry Workforce Summit, held on March 15th, brought together industry, education and government leaders. Through their energetic panel discussions, these leaders ignited some great conversations around the topic of workforce challenges and solutions.
- Hope Knight from Empire State Development laid out Governor Hochul’s plan to reimagine and overhaul the state’s approach to workforce training and development.
- Marna Bronfen-Moore from AngioDynamics, Rocio Manriquez from CONMED and Kate Phillips from Regeneron Pharmaceuticals shared their companies’ approaches to recruiting and retaining quality employees.
- NYS Senator Jeremy Cooney, Chris White from the NYS Department of Labor and Melinda Mack from NYATEP offered practical solutions to solving the worker shortage crisis.
- SUNY Provost Shadi Sandvik and Clarkson University Dean Lennart Johns talked about how New York’s public and private colleges are designing programs to meet the needs of the workers of today and the future.
- Problem solvers Amber Rangel Mooney from The Business Council and Dominic Robinson from CenterStateCEO explained how organizations like theirs are connecting bio/med companies to the candidates they need to grow and succeed.
- OneGroup helped our attendees understand what it takes to become an employer of choice and Alex Steele from Regeneron talked about what it takes to build an internship program that works.
11:30: Opening Remarks
Win Thurlow, Executive Director, MedTech Association
11:45: KeyNote Address
Hope Knight, President and CEO, Empire State Development
12:15: Industry Roundtable: The View on the Ground
Industry leaders will discuss the specific workforce challenges facing New York’s bio/med industry
- Rocio Manriquez, Sr. Director Operational Excellence, CONMED
- Marna Bronfen-Moore, Sr. VP Human Resources, AngioDynamics
- Kate Phillips, Sr. Director Human Resources, Regeneron Pharmaceuticals
- Amber Rangel Mooney, Director Workforce Development, The Business Council of New York State, Inc.
2:00: Government Roundtable: New York Rises to the Challenge
Government leaders will discuss New York’s response to our workforce challenges
- Hon. Jeremy Cooney, New York State Senate
- Melinda Mack, NYATEP
- Chris White, Assoc. Commissioner, New York Department of Labor
- Dominic Robinson, VP for Economic Inclusion, CenterStateCEO
2:45: Networking Break
3:00: Academic Roundtable: Connecting to Workforce Solution
Leading workforce problem-solvers will discuss specific programs and initiatives aimed at tackling our workforce challenges
- Dr. Fatemeh Shahedipour-Sandvik, Provost, SUNY
- Lennart Johns, Clarkson University
- Saleem Cheeks, VP Communications COE, AngioDynamics
3:45: Networking Break
4:00: Breakout Working Sessions: Tackling Our Obstacles and Sharing Best Practices
Attendees will participate in facilitated working groups focused on specific workforce related challenges with the aim of finding collaborative "win-win" solutions.
Breakout sessions will address:
- Internships, Apprenticeships and Education Pipeline
- Worker Connection/Retention Challenges
- Becoming an Employer of Choice