The LaunchPad Program Manager supports the mission of the Blackstone LaunchPad powered by Techstars which is part of SU Libraries. The LaunchPad is Syracuse University’s innovation hub, connecting the entire University’s resource-rich ecosystem with a global network that provides support for aspiring entrepreneurs, inventors and creators. The position reports to the Executive Director, and supports communications, outreach, events planning and management, as well as other strategic initiatives. This is a highly collaborative role, and the successful candidate will work with LaunchPad staff and academic units across campus to deliver effective programs that support the student experience and Syracuse University’s Academic Strategic Plan to create an innovation ecosystem across the institution that prepares participants to be trailblazers in an entrepreneurial world.
- Plan, organize, and direct activities as required for the full implementation of project goals and objectives, particularly related to faculty and student outreach, and the development and growth of an entrepreneurial pipeline of program participants. Identify key stakeholders and develop strategic outreach plan. Coordinate communications planning and implementation, working with partners across academic programs and student organizations to continue to grow program participation. Help manage communications channels to deliver high quality and consistent content across all platforms. Work with student employees to help deliver programming.
- Help develop and manage events and activities that advance project objectives, including visiting speakers, workshops, business plan competitions, business assistance days with subject matter experts, meetups and networking events, and other special events such as Startup Weekend and Global Entrepreneurship Week. Recruit and coordinate student employee and volunteers to support these efforts.
- Assist with student coaching, particularly in areas around building business models and product development roadmaps, providing direct support in subject areas such as financial forecasts and projections, and helping connect ventures to subject matter experts and mentors.
- Work in conjunction with the Executive Director to help develop strategy and implementation plans, work with advancement and alumni to create deep engagement by key constituents, support advancement work to build additional program resources, and help expand the network of mentors and donors. Complete reports and other deliverables as required by the university, funders and others. Engage with the Executive Director in creating and implementing special projects that foster collaborative work across academic disciplines.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in finance and entrepreneurship, and two years of related experience working in a startup environment (either with a university innovation program, community incubator or accelerator, or as a core team member of a startup venture.
- Experience in project management, delivery and evaluation;
- Expertise in budgeting, financial forecasts and projections, startup budgets, benchmarking, and other key financial ratios are highly desirable for coaching students;
- Experience in networking and working with diverse populations;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; excellent interpersonal, time management, problem solving and organizational skills:
- Expertise in PowerPoint, Excel, Adobe Creative, Word Press and Page Builder, Mail Chimp, Microsoft Teams, and other communications tools and platforms are high desirable, along with a good sense of interactive design, visual design, and information architecture;
- Proficiency in social media platforms, communications design and strategy.
An innovative/collaborative thinker, translating thinking into action, experience building and mentoring; excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, particularly student startups; excellent written and oral communications skills; plan and scale growth, and effectively communicate, with regard to solid ideas about revenue generation and fundraising; ability to understand the key attributes of technologies, products, markets and teams that lead to successful startup companies; demonstrated experience as an entrepreneur or mentor in a startup, or leadership role in an incubator or accelerator program; familiarity with Blackstone LaunchPad powered by Techstars program; understanding of the LaunchPad to help advance ventures; empathetic and intuitive personal qualities that foster a positive environment and organizational culture that teaches students hard and soft skills such as creativity and critical thinking, leadership, listening, problem solving, project management, research and discovery, resilience, risk management, team building and conflict resolution; community builder, who can positively contribute to building a highly networked and supportive, cross-disciplinary and cross cultural innovation hub across the entire LaunchPad ecosystem.